If your family member dies due to the fault of someone else, a vehicle, or product malfunction, you may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit. In Florida, the Wrongful Death Act allows you to take legal action when your loved one is killed by negligence, a breach of contract or warranty, or a wrongful act.
Individuals, companies, government agencies, and even employers can be sued for wrongful death. Wrongful death claims can be made against:
- Drunk driver that kills a passenger or pedestrian;
- Bartender at bar that served alcohol to a drunk driver;
- Construction site with faulty equipment;
- Owners of a property with dangerous conditions;
- Car manufacturers when a vehicle has faulty parts;
- A local or federal agency that allows unsafe road conditions;
- The owner of a pool where someone drowns;
and many other scenarios when a death occurs.
A settlement can be reached and damages may be awarded to survivors for economic losses, non-economic losses, and punitive damages. Call Marielis for a free consultation regarding the parties who may initiate and defend a Florida Wrongful Death action.